How to Get the Best Outcome When Wearing Braces
Dr. Ronald Lints and the team of professionals at Dr. Lints Orthodontics understand that orthodontic treatment with braces for patients that live in or work near Traverse City MI, is an investment of time and money for their patients. They give their patients a thorough understanding of how to get the best outcome from wearing orthodontics.
BEST PRACTICES FOR BRACES IN TRAVERSE CITY MI
1. Maintain good oral hygiene habits: Wearing orthodontic appliances requires the patient in Traverse City MI to practice good brushing and flossing regimens. Your orthodontist will instruct you on how to clean your braces properly and how to floss without interfering with your archwires. While conscientious dental hygiene should already be part of your daily routine, it is important to continuing the habits by brushing after every meal, flossing frequently, and using mouthwash regularly. A dentist’s check-up twice a year is also important.
2. Eat a healthy diet: Because of their construction and position in your mouth, braces do put some limits and what foods you can eat during your treatment. Some types of foods and drinks that you should stay away from are sugary, sticky, chewy, and acidic foods or drinks. Candies, chewing gum, and soda should all be removed from your diet. Crunchy and hard foods can also damage your braces and should be avoided if possible Dr. Ronald Lints recommends his patients use this opportunity to make some healthy lifestyle and diet changes.
3. Wear a mouthguard: A great way to avoid any chance of your braces breaking while playing sports is to wear a mouthguard. Brackets are tough and strong, and while they are designed to treat and correct dental malocclusions and improve your smile, they can sometimes break.If your braces break, it can be painful and cause delays in your treatment time. Call your orthodontist as soon as possible so that your appliances can be fixed immediately.
4. Talk to your orthodontist: Keep the flow of information between you and your orthodontist open. If you’re feeling discomfort because of your brackets, schedule a visit with your orthodontist as soon as possible. A simple adjustment to your braces may be all that is necessary to relieve your pain.
5. Remember to smile: Smiling strengthens the muscles that control your mouth and helps to release good, healthy endorphins. Dr. Lints Orthodontics says that smiling helps your lips from getting caught in your braces, too. And it’s great practice for showing off those pearly whites once your orthodontics appliances come off!